Multiple MIDI channel outputs from one plugin?

I’m trying to send MIDI information out on three separate channels from my plugin.

Writing separately for each channel :

MidiMessage::noteOn(chan,note,vel);

However, in my DAW (FL Studio) to get the instrument to send out MIDI at all, I need to specify which MIDI channel it sends on, and then the messages go out only on that.

Is this a limitation of FL Studio? Or the VST format? Or is there something else I can do in my plugin to get it to go out on multiple channels?

Bumped in case anyone missed this who might know the answer :slight_smile:

It’s entirely up to the DAW what it chooses to do with the MIDI your plugin produces. As a plugin writer it’s a good idea to use at least a few different DAWs so you can test behaviours like this yourself.

re: what Jules replied :
Reaper is cheap as chips.
Ableton Live demo you can use (without being able to save/export) indefinitely.

Agreed, it seems to be a host thing.

FL Studio doesn’t support it, but there’s a workaround. A plugin called MidiChannelFilter from http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=192282

Basically I just create three instances of this ChannelFilter, all listening on the port that my plugin outputs its 3 channels of MIDI to. Each instance of the filter is then tuned to pick up and forward one Midi channel, each to a separate output port.

It’s a faff. But does the job.

Re: FL Studio. I’ve been using it for nearly 18 years and have a tonne of music created with it. I don’t particularly want to decamp to a different commercial DAW. The only reason I would leave it is to move to a free-software DAW that I can run in Linux, such as LMMS.

I think you misunderstood, the point is those are 2 hosts that are either very cheap or free if all you want to do is test how your plugin behaves in another host. Not suggesting you dump FL at all. :slight_smile:

Ah, OK understand.

Actually I have tried my plugin in Ableton Live intro. And it seems to run. But as I’m far less familiar with Live I haven’t quite worked out how to route from my plugin to the instruments.