A funny feature or bug in the forum:

I tried to open a new thread with this title:
“understanding 4.2 #define JUCE_GLOBAL_MODULE_SETTINGS_INCLUDED”

This gives an error:
“Title is invalid; try to be a little more descriptive”

Removing the underscores worked fine.
But I think this limitation is not very useful for a developer’s forum. :grin:

1 Like

How odd! I’ll see if I can find a setting that avoids that… There are hundreds of things in Discourse that we can tweak, it’s hard to figure out what they all do!

I personally like the theme, colour and nav system. It’s all nice and tucked away but easy to reveal. It also works well on mobile for me.

White/dark backgrounds seem to be really polarising. Personally I stare at black text on a white background in Xcode all day. I know others hate this and use the dark background though.

We had similar problems with Tracktion, everyone complained when we launched T5 with a light background. Then when we changed it in T7, everyone complained we had a dark background. How do Apple ever release products without colour schemes?

My top request would be a bigger distinction between read and unread posts on the “Latest” feed. The solid black to slightly grey is a bit too similar to discern.

1 Like

It’s possible with Discourse to have a main page that shows the categories with a few latest posts rather than the ALL the latest posts in ALL categories which I find this very noisy. I know I can click on a category to enter the topics discussed there, but this forum is one of the few where I would actually prefer to have the categories listed when we enter the forum. As they were in the previous site. As far as I know, it’s a simple setting in Discourse, and would return some level of familiarity to the forum.

p.s. Overall I like the new forum, and the colour scheme.

I like the new forum! I like black on white text! I don’t like the font, its to thin, especially for non retina displays.

2 Likes

Very nice new forum interface. Much more pleasant than the previous one (so far only browsed the new one on an iPad)

Would love to have a dark theme if possible, and as bazrush suggested, Helvetica or Open Sans for font would be appreciated too.

Also, can the dropdown menus be fixed so that the complete submenu titles show?

I’m used to doing google searches for forum topics as I always got better results than the old forum search engine. If I try this now then every link I click on takes me to the forum welcome page, which is pretty frustrating (tested on a few computers with consistent results).

Probably google needs some time to rebuild it’s index. If you add “site:forum.juce.com” to your query, you wont get the pointless results from the old url www.juce.com/forum, which redirects always to the start page.

I don’t know, if Roli uses googles admin tools to force to forget the old urls and rescan the forum…

See: Old links broken

Rail

Urgh, yep hadn’t even clocked the change of URL…

The main thing I wonder about is tags. After using SO, it feels so natural to attach half a dozen tags to a post, and conversely to search by tag. If anyone was allowed to tag any post that would take care of retro-tagging all of relevant old forum posts over time. If I was designing a forum technology I would preset a bunch of tags which users can add by a single click. Like Windows, Projucer, License, etc, and then allow users to add their own freely, also maintaining a list of similes.

I scratched my head about the font complaints, but after reading Bazrush’s post, I tried zooming out just once (CMD - on Mac) and it is fail on my Dell flat screen. Still holds on the iMac for several zooms(!).

Dark/Light theme debate seems … polarised. Maybe the technology framework creators could be prodded into providing themes? It’s becoming the norm in modern UI design to at least provide a light and dark theme.

Also, a lots of code chunks from old forum posts are not rendering properly, “<” is getting rendered as “&lt” etc. I mentioned this on another thread.

π

EDIT Plus it would be nice to disable badges. I have always been unmotivated by badges.

I agree that, even if we are still not accustomed to it, it doesn’t feel perfect at all, and for sure less usable than before.

Although I do appreciate the will of the team to upgrade to something more modern, with a better design (even if the font can be changed, but that’s not a big problem for me), I think that this kind of tablet-optimized board is a step back for the JUCE forum.

In other words, while this kind of forum system is maybe great for, say, quick technical help for computer problems where people post one question and never come back, or maybe for some kind of news-related discussions, it seems to me highly unpractical for our technical C++ discussions.

Copy-pasting what I put in the other “major forum update” thread :

• Consider relinking older posts to new ones using 301 redirect as the google search was useful for precise searches
  • might be possible already, but on the main page I would prefer seeing the different subforums. However I saw we can choose what appears from our profile page, so if it allows the filtering of the main page it’s cool
  • When I type a “:” symbol, it proposes me to include an emoticon… Why not, but if I want to write “:” then go to the next line by pressing “enter”, then it includes the emoticon. Not major but slightly disturbing/impractical
  • Category names are trimmed, would look better with the full name, just a quick css sizing I think.
  • also last but not least I completely relate to jimw’s statement above :

The discourse.org page touts their “just-in-time loading” feature. Is there a way to turn that off in user settings? If not, I think I would hate that. If I’m searching for something and I already found a relevant topic, I routinely just do a search on the page for a given term (where doing an actual forum search is overkill). This wouldn’t find things in the discourse case if you hadn’t already scrolled to manually load every post.

In general, many of these newer forum tools seem to try to do too much “cool stuff”, when really all that is needed are solid basics that are provided by the old standbys like phpBB.

At the end of the day, simple forums without multi-level reply is the easiest thing to use, especially for technical forums I think. I am digging the new design but the simple, classic forumboard as the one before seemed much more practical for me.

yeah, the Google index shall be rebuilt, but 301 redirect would be useful for those who kept favorite links

2 Likes

I dig it all, very nice.

I can’t seem to turn off " Send me an email for every new post (unless I mute the topic or category)". It stays on no matter if I answer yes or no.

I must have accidentally turned it on yesterday (and I don’t remember it asking me the same question), but now that I want to turn it off, it seems like it thinks I want to turn it off.

I agree with Rory here. I also think the main page is a bit noisy in the new forum.

I was touched upon before in this thread, and I tend to agree that the post date info is displayed in a very confusing way: sometimes you will see “Mar 14” and sometimes you will see “Mar '14” (note the single quote difference). I’ve seen it in a few other places on the net as well, and always find it very confusing…
I’d highly prefer the standard ISO 8601 calendar date format YYYY-MM-DD.
And if people prefer having the various xyz m or xyz h or xyz d or what not… specials, perhaps that could be added after that: 2016-04-09 (6 h).
Just an opinion.

2 Likes

Will someone please FIX THIS???

It’s wired backwards and you can’t turn it off.

Seems fine for me. Did you click “save changes”?