Projucer Spams macOS Popup for Documents Access

Ever since building the JUCE 6.1.4 Projucer (Release mode) on my Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro running macOS Monterey 12.1, I experience the following issue:

Every time I launch Projucer, it generates around 60 popups, one at a time, and all in sequence, asking me if I would like to allow Projucer to access files in my Documents folder. I have to click OK about 60 times until Projucer fully launches and operates as expected.

For some reason, it seems this preference to allow Projucer access to Documents is not persisting. I am forced to dismiss these popup every time I open Projucer.

Is anyone else experiencing this issue? I wonder if I have some MacOS setting configured that is causing this.

Here is what the popup looks like:

1 Like

also happens here

I don’t have Apple Silicon M1 MacBook Pro and JUCE works fine for me on macOS Monterey 12.1, but you might experiment with some settings.
Have you tried to change Security & Privacy settings? On Privacy tab you can find options for Files and Folders and Full Disk Access.

You might check settings on General tab as well and set

Allow apps downloaded from:

• App Store and identified developers

Are there any differences in behaviour between version built on your own and released by JUCE?
Where do you have your Projucer application on disk? Maybe moving to different path will change this situation?
P.S. JUCE 6.1.5 is available.

I tried giving Projucer “Full Disk Access” and “Files and Folders” permission, then restarted my computer, but this does not fix the issue. I also tried moving the Projucer app from inside my documents to the desktop, but same issue.

I just downloaded the latest JUCE & Projucer (6.1.5) from juce.com and this version works just fine! :+1: I only get the popup one time, the first time I launch Projucer. Thank you for mentioning that.

I’m not sure yet if building from JUCE 6.1.5 source code will resolve this problem for me, but I bet it should. (I need to build from source for my plugin development.) I’ll report back here if not. Thanks again!

I’m glad that one out of several ideas worked for you :slightly_smiling_face:

It looks like Documents, Desktop are some kind of special folders on macOS 12.x, so I guess /Applications is better option. I had my compiled Projucer somewhere under ~/Projects/JUCE/...

1 Like

Keeps happening here. It doesn’t matter where I put Projucer, but most from where I’m calling it. If I manually open the folder where it’s stored, I got almost not prompt. If I run it from spotlight or from a symlink, I get tons of these prompts. I gave to Projucer full disk access too, but that’s not helping.

Any advice?

I remember that I had this kind of problems with apps when the Development Team ID field was empty in Projucer. Maybe if you build Projucer from sources, that’s the case?

I build from sources, but that field is empty so the binary is not signed. I’ll check if signing helps.

Thanks,
Luca

From what I understand, this multiple-popup issue only appears when building Projucer from source code.

To solve this issue, just add signing credentials to the Projucer’s XCode project and then build.

The signing settings that worked for me in Targets > Projcuer - App > Signing & Capabilities > All:

• Check the box for “Automatically manage signing”
  • Choose a Team
  • Under the macOS dropdown, in the Signing Certificate combobox, choose “Sign to Run Locally”

Here’s what my settings looked like:

1 Like