Slider TextBox not editable in JuceDemoPlugin on XP

Hi all:

Just built JuceDemoPlugin from the tip (as of a few minutes ago), and the text box for the slider does not accept input. You can select it via the mouse, and highlight the text as if it was editable, but no amount of typing will get text in there. I’m running Windows XP, and testing the plugin in Live 8.

This is working fine on OSX (VST/AU/RTAS), so it seems like it is an issue with the Windows code.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

I’m afraid my PT installation has decided to simply not launch any more, so I can’t check this - anyone else seen similar behaviour?

Can you reproduce it in a VST host?

I just compiled the JuceDemoPlugin for RTAS. The edit box works properly in Pro Tools 8. The same code, renamed as a .dll, does not edit properly in Live 8. Hopefully this is useful info.

EDIT: By “works properly” I mean that I can type a value into the edit box in the plugin. Hitting the return key doesn’t make it retain that value, but I can’t remember if that is the expected behavior. Typing in a value, and then clicking the mouse somewhere besides that box, makes the box retain the value I just typed in.

Sean

P.S. It took me several days to successfully install Pro Tools on XP. The driver installation was hosed the first time, so I eventually had to uninstall everything and reinstall.

A bumpedy bumpa…

Any progress on this? I released my first Juce plugin today (http://www.valhalladsp.com/freqecho.html), and the Windows VST still has this bug in it. I’d love to be able to update this such that the users can type values in the textbox.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

Sorry, I’m in the middle of a lot of non-plugin stuff right now, don’t have enough capacity to task-switch and think about this. Keep bumping it and I’ll get there eventually.

Bumping, bumping, bumping along…

TBH that sounds like Live is stealing the return-key event before the plugin gets it… If so, I don’t think there’d be much we can do about it. Easy enough to find out - you’d just need to stick a breakpoint somewhere like Win32ComponentPeer::doKeyDown() and see if hitting the return key can trigger it. I’ve not got Live 8 installed yet, but might try it tomorrow if I get chance.

[quote=“jules”]
TBH that sounds like Live is stealing the return-key event before the plugin gets it… If so, I don’t think there’d be much we can do about it. Easy enough to find out - you’d just need to stick a breakpoint somewhere like Win32ComponentPeer::doKeyDown() and see if hitting the return key can trigger it. I’ve not got Live 8 installed yet, but might try it tomorrow if I get chance.[/quote]

I haven’t done your debugging trick yet, but it looks like the bug is localized to Live 8 on Windows. My VSTs open fine in Reaper, and my OSX VST/AU plugins work fine in Live 8 for the Mac. I have bigger bugs to track down, so I’ll let this one slide for now.

Thanks,

Sean Costello

There’s always been a history of keyboard weirdness with Live, I think they go to greater lengths than other hosts to make sure they catch all the keypresses. Probably because if you’re using it for performance and you hit “play” but nothing happens because a plugin had the focus, it could be quite annoying.

Big, holding back my commercial plugin bump here.

I think that the issue I just posted with AlertWIndows (http://www.rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5967) is the same bug. And it is a show-stopper, as my plugin authorization system relies on AlertWindows and File Chooser.

EDIT: Nevermind. I fixed my issues with AlertWindows by using a Timer.