Standalone plugin .settings file in the root of Application Support

standalone

I’m sure I read somewhere amongst JUCE docs or here on the forum that it’s considered bad practice to pollute the root of ~/Application Support with application specific files, they instead should live within a sub folder, however JUCE doesn’t seem to adhere to this advice with the default standalone plugin build.

I figured changing the options.folderName here solved that issue : https://github.com/WeAreROLI/JUCE/blob/master/modules/juce_audio_plugin_client/Standalone/juce_StandaloneFilterApp.cpp#L67 but I was unsure how I could override this in a project.

In the end my solution was to #define JUCE_USE_CUSTOM_PLUGIN_STANDALONE_APP 1 and copy the above file (with a bit of editing to remove the #if ! JUCE_USE_CUSTOM_PLUGIN_STANDALONE_APP wrapper), since I didn’t want anything more than what the default provides, however it also occurred to me that a simple change to the above line to options.folderName = JucePlugin_SettingsFolder; and a corresponding new setting in Projucer (or even just a #define in AppConfig.h) would be a much simpler solution.

If there is a simpler way than the method I’ve chosen I would love to hear about it! :smile: