Status of Midi 2.0 and Juce

Hi all,

I can’t find any recent information on the forums or google related to the status of Midi 2.0 in Juce or in VST, AAX and AU plugins in general.

It is my understanding that the specification has been released and that products are out that are using the format, though I don’t believe that I have seen or used any yet.

I’ve found posts made by the Juce team introducing Midi 2.0 from over a year ago, but nothing on the site or in the forums (I could be mistaken) discusses their implementation.

I’m asking as I am working on a Midi Filter that will need to support the format in the near future.

Thanks

2 Likes

We have MIDI 2.0 API functions ready to go, but we are waiting for more platforms to provide support. It would be really useful to know if there will be dramatic differences between the OS MIDI 2.0 APIs before we make our wrapper around them public.

4 Likes

How about also implementing multi MIDI port support for VST3?

Maybe each MidiMessage could have an ID (or index) that would identify the source/target MIDI port?

• Jussi

Will Juce 7 include Midi 2.0 support?

2 Likes

Will we get notified when the support arrives?

( if it arrives after 7.0 is released )

particularly important if one is. - say - writing a DAW or even plugin that hosts a plugin that uses - NEEDS - multiple midi ports like the Vienna Ensemble Pro client plugin

MIDI 2.0 will not be included as part of the initial JUCE 7 release. However, it’s likely to be included in a later update to JUCE 7.

We’re yet to investigate the Android implementation thoroughly, so I can’t provide a concrete timeline for when we’ll expose the API to the public.

2 Likes

Out of interest a brief google for Microsoft Windows 11 and MIDI 2.0 didn’t seem to turn up anything - whereas Apple clearly are out of the gate already.

What’s the situation on MIDI 2.0 and windows?

It’s being worked on, but we don’t know anything more than that I’m afraid.

1 Like

So Android has an implementation out - but Microsofts MIDI 2.0 implementation isn’t even in early closed nda beta or alpha form yet?

( I’m assuming by “worked on” you mean by the Windows MIDI API devs at MS not yourselves ? )

hmm -