VS2012: IntroJucer & Jucer won't compile with latest modules

Hi there,

I’m using Visual Studio 2012. I used the IntroJucer to download the latest modules yesterday and now the Jucer & the IntroJucer won’t compile. In fact, I can’t even run the IntroJucer any more because the executable get deleted.

I now get loads of errors, like these:

[quote]Error 1 error C2555: ‘Project::getDocumentTitle’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::getDocumentTitle’ (…\Source\Application\jucer_CommandLine.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 2 error C2555: ‘Project::loadDocument’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::loadDocument’ (…\Source\Application\jucer_CommandLine.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 3 error C2555: ‘Project::saveDocument’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::saveDocument’ (…\Source\Application\jucer_CommandLine.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 4 error C2555: ‘Project::getLastDocumentOpened’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::getLastDocumentOpened’ (…\Source\Application\jucer_CommandLine.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 5 error C2555: ‘Project::getDocumentTitle’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::getDocumentTitle’ (…\Source\Project\jucer_GroupInformationComponent.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 6 error C2555: ‘Project::loadDocument’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::loadDocument’ (…\Source\Project\jucer_GroupInformationComponent.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 7 error C2555: ‘Project::saveDocument’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::saveDocument’ (…\Source\Project\jucer_GroupInformationComponent.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 8 error C2555: ‘Project::getLastDocumentOpened’: overriding virtual function return type differs and is not covariant from ‘juce::FileBasedDocument::getLastDocumentOpened’ (…\Source\Project\jucer_GroupInformationComponent.cpp) c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\project\jucer_project.h 280
Error 9 error C2661: ‘juce::Graphics::setFont’ : no overloaded function takes 2 arguments c:\acoustica\acoustica\juce\extras\introjucer\source\application\jucer_filepreviewcomponent.cpp 73
[/quote]

I don’t have GIT. Is there any solution to this, other than re-downloading the last stable release?

Thanks,
Dan

github will generate zip files you can download.

Thanks. I wasn’t quite able to figure out how to do it in GitHub, but I was able to use the Git Shell to download the latest reposity per the instructions on the Juce download page. Everything seems to work fine now.

Do you think you’ll be including Visual Studio 2012 build folders soon?

Thanks!
Dan

Maybe. Although until they get their c++11 support sorted out I can’t really see the point in upgrading from VS2010.

Me neither

For what it’s worth, we’ve been developing in VS2005 for some time and finally decided to upgrade to the latest version, which is of course VS2012. So whether or not there’s a point to upgrading from VS2010, there will still be plenty of users diving in to JUCE development on the PC side that will have the latest compiler from Microsoft. Plus, with Windows 8 out, they’re likely to focus their support on 2012.

My two cents.

Dan

Switching immediately to the latest Microsoft Visual Studio version is a recipe for headaches. Usually a new Visual Studio release is not stable/usable over the previous version until the first service pack. This has been true for every release since before version 6.

am having some problem to build the jucer from the juce/extras on windows. it is giving me of an error . [u]fatal error LNK1123: Failure during conversaion to COFF: FILE INVALID OR CORRUPT[/u]. any recommendation on how to build or download it from the internet.

Would probably be smarter to fix/understand whatever your problem is than to try to avoid it.

I have managed to build the introjucer but still having problem on jucer. I have tried by download the juce folder again but still giving me this error :. fatal error LNK1123: Failure during conversaion to COFF: FILE INVALID OR CORRUPT

thankyou guys I have managed to build the introjucer and jucer by uninstall vs2012 and vs2012 then install vs2012sp1

No idea. Try googling for that link error, it’s probably a VC problem.

So, I hear that Visual Studio 2012 is not capable (i.e. intentionally crippled) of producing .EXE or .DLL targets which work on XP, is that true?

Ouch, that’s nasty - I guess that your stance is vindicated!

A quick bit of googling reveals this explanation. There’s a community technology preview update to address it here (see last file, vsupdate_KB2707250.exe). But note:

I had this problem as well. I put up a thread about it here: http://rawmaterialsoftware.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=10154

Ouch, that’s nasty - I guess that your stance is vindicated!

A quick bit of googling reveals this explanation. There’s a community technology preview update to address it here (see last file, vsupdate_KB2707250.exe). But note:

Update 1 for VS2012 has now been released and it includes support for C++ applications to target Windows XP.

You can have your thread back now :slight_smile: