What's the recommended way to update JUCE (Projucer etc.) without losing existing global settings like paths?

I have my existing installation of JUCE 7.0.4 in c:\JUCE.

In the past I just renamed this folder to JUCE.old and did a fresh unzipping into c:\JUCE.
But now I have made alterations to the global settings and want to keep those.

(I would prefer downloading the zip file rather than going through Github, but if thats not possible then I’ll have to go the GitHub route.)

In windows the Projucer settings are stored at User\AppData\Roaming\Projucer, so you don’t have to worry about changing the files inside the juce folder. Projucer in my experience has always been able to open files created with older versions of it, however it is true that some files some times are moved from one juce module to another so you may have to add/remove new modules (e.g. FixedSizeFunction recently)

1 Like

I downloaded the new version and installed it.
When I build, now I get a _VSTManifestHelper show up in VS2022.

Anyway, it used to correctly build to my destination folder I specified c:\program files\common files\vst3 but now the unhelpful new behavior is for some reason (even though its retained the correct output dir in the settings after upgrade ) its building to:
c:\program files\common files\vst3\myplugin_name.vst3\contents\x86_64-win\

Is there a way to revert back to the simple original path I had?

(there’s also a new file in the subdir)

That’s the new format Steinberg introduced to be consistent with the bundles on Mac.
The single file plugins (dll or vst3 files, which are effectively dlls with a different extension) are deprecated and will stop working one day.

Have a look on the forum search or the Steinberg docs:
https://steinbergmedia.github.io/vst3_dev_portal/pages/Technical+Documentation/Locations+Format/Plugin+Format.html#for-the-windows-platform

1 Like

I see. There’s been no issues with some older versions of DAWs not searching in subfolders to \common files\vst3 to pick up the .vst3 file ?

If some host around still doesn’t support it, you can consider it out of date and broken. The folder based structure for the plugins on Windows was introduced by Steinberg in 2018.

1 Like