AUv3 not showing up in iOS simulator/device

I have an au plugin that works fine for Mac. I’m now trying to port it to iOS as an auv3 audio extension. I build the XCode project from projucer, sign it, and build. It successfully builds and launches auv3host in the simulator, but my au does not show up. I’ve also tried it on my iPad in auv3host, garageband, and audiobus. In all 3 places, again, my au does not show up.

Are there additional steps in XCode that I need to take after exporting from Projucer?

Mac 10.13.5
iOS 11.4
XCode 9.4.1

Did you give it a MIDI input? In most hosts (definitely the three you mentioned) a plugin with a MIDI input will not show up unless it is an instrument, or you are targeting iOS 11.

I would suggest installing AUM, in any event. It is the most comprehensive AUv3 host on iOS, and allows all possible features. This will at least rule out your build chain.

I would also suggest making sure the standalone works first; this is easier to debug, and it’s required for the AUv3 in any event.

2 Likes

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve tried with and without MIDI input, I’m targeting iOS 11, I’ve successfully built the standalone, and tried AUM. It just doesn’t show up.

Have you tried actually running the standalone (and then closing at reopening the host)? Have you changed the bundle IDs from the Projucer defaults?

Does JUCE’s AUv3SynthPluginDemo example show up?

1 Like

Tried AUv3Synth and it did show up. So I compared their projucer settings. My plugin’s Plugin Code was all lowercase. Noticed the info about needing at least one uppercase letter. Fixed. Thanks t0m.

1 Like

I built the AudioPluginHost for iOS. It doesn’t show any AUv3 plugin until I open other third-party App (e.g. GarageBand). It seems that GarageBand performs some searching task that makes all AUv3 plugins available for the AudioPluginHost app. I have tried other third-party host apps and I get the same behavior. Is there any special step/task that I need to implement to make the AUv3 plugins available for my JUCE iOS application?

The behaviour that you need to launch GarageBand for the third-party apps to find any AUv3s, or are the third-party apps able to find AUv3s without assistance from GarageBand?

GarageBand and other third-party Apps can find the AUv3s. And, after they have found, the AudioPluginHost starts seeing the AUv3 plugins.

I’m seeing same behavior here. I fiddle with it without a paid Apple Developer account and indeed only after GarageBand was open I see the AUv3, strange.

Dear JUCE team,
I’ve been able to resolve this with missing IAA entitlement.
It would be nice though if this would also be available in the iOS exporter and not only as plug-in format?

Hey,
While the IAA entitlement is deprecated.

At least for me on iPadOS 14.3 it seems to still fail without it.
And if I enable IAA plug-in in projucer. on macOS (M1) it will fail.

Would be nice if JUCE team could enable only the IAA entitlement when a juce app intends to host plug-ins on iOS.

Sorry for the radio silence on this issue. I’m not sure when this started, but I now need the IAA entitlement in order for the AudioPluginHost to find external AUv3s on my iOS 16.3 device. I think this is a recent change, as I’ve definitely tested out AUv3s in the AudioPluginHost in the past without needing this entitlement.

In any case, the changes are here:

3 Likes

it’s tricky since once they’re cached (the AUv3) the entitlement not needed iirc.
So it’s only for the first scan/cache.