VST3 not showing in Ableton Live and MAX

Hello,
i’m new to Juce. I followed both beginner tutorials for setting up the environment and building the first simple vst3 audio plugin.
After compiling, the plugin can be loaded in Juce’s plug-in host. By double-clicking the device the “hello world” dialog shows up. so far so good.
When I copy the plugin into the default Vst3-Folder on my host/daw computer, Ableton Live is not able to scan it. It doens’t show up as an existing device in the VST3-Folder of Live. When I open Max 8 and try to load it into an vst~ object I get the error message: “no format VST3 exists”.
The environment seems to be set up fine. I can load the generated project. I can compile it without errors. I used the project-properties suggested in the tutorial:

• Poject-Type: Audio Plug-In
  • Plugin Formats: VST3 (only)
  • Plugin Characteristics: Plugin MIDI Input, Plugin MIDI Output

The rest is on default, like suggested. After saving and opening in Visual Studio I immediately built the project without making any modifications to it. I tried with both, debug and release configuration.

my environment:

• Windows 10 Pro 1809
  • VS 2019 16.3.5 (latest)
  • Latest Version of Windows 10 SDK
  • Juce 5.4.4
  • Ableton Live 10.1.3
  • Max 8.1.0

Does anybody know how to fix this problem?

thanks and regards
NBT

Hello,
I don’t know exactly what the problem was, but after a fresh installation of juce (and an update from 5.4.4 to 5.4.5) it works, now.
regards
NBT

For future reference, it’s worth setting Live as the default debug application in your VS project setting and do all your testing with the debugger. Then you’ll have a much better picture of why it might not work. The debugger will save you endless hours of time-wasting in the long run.

Thanks for this advice. Is there a tutorial how to do that? I’m not only new to Juce, but to C++ as well.

Don’t forget to set the plugin location in the host before trying to run the plugin through the debugger. Here’s the steps you can follow to get started.

Btw, I generally always use Reaper to test my plugins because it’s the bomb when it comes to plugin development :wink:

1 Like

Still, it would be advisable to use at least one other host for testing too… :wink: Reaper has its own idiosyncrasies.

Of course, this is always good advise!

Works!
I appreciate your advices & help.