What's your opinion about this book?Designing Software Synthesizer Plug-Ins in C++ Is it about theory behind Juce framework, or it includes more than that?

(Can I make something more without Juce framework [improve more efficiency? Or Juce just has finished it?])
https://www.amazon.com/Designing-Software-Synthesizer-Plug-Ins-RackAFX/dp/1138787078

I read excerpts here on the forum from puzzled readers, that looked indeed not great. But I was told the second edition improved the code examples and clarified many things, so definitely avoid the first edition.

It’s probably worth pointing out that this book doesn’t use JUCE, so it might not be too useful if you’re interested in learning the JUCE framework.

Im a big fan. Its true that its not concerned with JUCE, but its very accesable its way of discusing the proccessing and design of audio.

I read excerpts here on the forum from puzzled readers, that looked indeed not great. But I was told the second edition improved the code examples and clarified many things, so definitely avoid the first edition.

It is his Audio Effect book that has a second edition, not the Synth book.

I have the 1st & 2nd editions of the effect book and the synth book. I think they are pretty good, they contain a decent amount of info in one place.

My complaints are that I don’t like RackFX, his framework for creating plugins, not do I like his coding style. So the majority of the code I’ve used from his book I’ve completely re-written. That’s probably a good thing anyway since it forces me to understand it.

If you are just getting started writing synths, his book will help you figure out a lot of things that JUCE doesn’t cover, like oscillators that don’t alias and creating a decent ADSR envelope.

Dough… sorry, my bad

Why don’t you like its coding style? Not efficient enough?

Why don’t you like its coding style? Not efficient enough?

It’s old school C++, I don’t think any C++11 or newer features are used. m_ everwhere, all classes start with C. Reminds me of how I programmed circa 2003.

1 Like